Tuesday 3 November 2009

Etosha National Park

Last Thursday my Mum, Dad, sister and I all went Etosha National Park and stayed at a camp site called Okaukeujo. The second night and third we stayed in a place called Halali. When we got through the gate we immediately saw springbok, impala and two giraffes. We all pitched the tents in number 9 site and headed straight for the waterhole. Our first sighting was a huge African elephant and later on that day 37 elephants came. At night we saw two black rhinos and then we came back a bigger white rhino too.

We went swimming in the pool there and then went to Halali where we went swimming again because it was so hot. I got a hat in the the shop there and this is a picture of it. It keeps the sun of my face so I do not get sunburnt. I also got an Etosha t-shirt with my own money.




This is a list of all of the animals I saw: elephants, black rhino, white rhino, maribou storks, great african owl, secretary birds (we called these fancy pants), kori bustards, impala, sprinboks, giraffes, ostriches, ostrich chicks, red hartebeest (one with a day old calf with wobbly legs), two kinds of zebras, kudu, elands, wildebeest, oryx, two hornbills, lots of ground squirrels and lot of birds and lizards. My Mum nearly walked onto a black mamba which is a deadly thin black snake. On the second day we saw over 1000 zebra and 200 sprinkbok gathering at the edge of the Etosha pan. When we saw zebras crossing the road I always called this a Zebra Crossing.

We were really hoping to see lions all the way through etosha but we didn't see any. On the last day though on the drive home we spotted a giant male lion and a lioness so we stayed and watched them for 25 minutes. Then we went to a waterhole and we saw 11 lions, 1 male, 4 lionesses and 6 cubs.

I really enjoyed Etosha and want to go back with my Gran when she comes out to visit. I hope my Mum and Dad get me a camera with a 10 or more zoom lens for Christmas so I can take my own photos.

Cameron H.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds fantastic Cam. I'm coming out to stay in May so maybe you can persuade your mum to put that into our itinerary.
    Good luck with getting the camera at Christmas.
    love
    Fi

    ReplyDelete